For many migrants, applying for British citizenship or nationality might be the final step in their immigration process. Obtaining British citizenship offers you complete rights to live, work, and travel in the United Kingdom. You can visit and exit the nation freely and enjoy the status that comes with such prestigious citizenship. Citizenship is seldom withdrawn; therefore, getting British citizenship will provide you and your family with security.
Application procedure for British citizenship
Online applications for British citizenship are accepted by individuals in other nations. You’ll need to fill out an online application form and respond to all of the relevant questions. You can download it and make modifications before applying.
The type of citizenship application you are making will dictate the type of British citizenship application form you use. In the UK, the vast majority of citizenship applications are handled online. You should choose the appropriate citizenship application type as a candidate before completing the online form. You will be able to upload supporting papers, make a biometric appointment, and make payments online through a different site.
You may still fill out and mail in certain paper application forms. For instance, Form AN is the appropriate form for naturalisation, while Form MN1 is the appropriate form for registering a minor child. Applicants are recommended not to utilise the postal application unless needed.
What documents are required to apply for British citizenship?
It takes a lot of paperwork to become a British citizen. The following paperwork must be included with an application:
- Your passport or other travel authorization along with an active ID card (if applicable)
- You must provide documentation proving your indefinite leave to remain.
- proof of your English language proficiency your Life in the UK exam certificate as proof of your passing
- Your marriage licence or civil partnership certificate (if applicable)
- six years’ worth of pay stubs, or five years if you were married to a British citizen, six years’ worth of P60s, or five years if you were married to a British citizen (if P60s do not cover the whole period)
- Self-assessment statements for each of the last six/five years are required of self-employed candidates.
How can I monitor the progress of my application for British citizenship?
Once your application has been filed and the necessary money has been paid, you will be granted a special reference number. This reference will also be used when you upload your supporting papers and enrol your biometric data. The majority of the time, you won’t be able to track your application right away. If more information is required, a caseworker from the Home Office will get in touch with you by written communication. You need to get a letter explaining that your application is not in line with the usual level of service. Once your application has been accepted, a letter confirming the outcome will be sent to you.
How long does the application process take for British citizenship?
While the procedure for applying for British citizenship might take up to 6 months, most applications are resolved far more quickly. Soon after your application has been accepted, you will get a letter of approval as well as an invitation to apply for citizenship. You must contact your local register as soon as you can to arrange a citizenship ceremony. Ceremonies’ availability is a moving target. You won’t become a British citizen until you’ve completed your naturalisation ceremony and received your certificate of naturalisation. You can apply for your first British passport after the naturalisation procedure is complete.
How does one become a naturalised citizen of the United Kingdom?
The process by which foreign persons seek to become full citizens of the United Kingdom and Great Britain is known as the application for a British citizenship via naturalisation. Although the legal conditions for naturalisation are specified in the legislation, no applicant is regarded to have the “right” to citizenship simply by completing them. Instead, all naturalisation applications are evaluated on a discretionary basis. Although the requirements for naturalisation are clearly stated, each application will be assessed on its own merits.
- If you wish to become a British citizen, you must have spent more than 90 days outside of the country in the 12 months before your naturalisation application.
- You must meet the following requirements to naturalise as a British citizen:
- Verify that you satisfy all requirements, including residence and moral character.
- assemble the proof you’ll need to substantiate your application;
- Collect recommendations from two persons who meet the requirements to serve as references for your application.
- submit a form online;
- Complete the form and pay the required fee;
- You should upload scanned copies of your supporting papers to the relevant website.
- Schedule a “biometric appointment” and attend;
- if the Home Office needs further information during the decision-making process, collaborate with them if required;
- Once your application has been accepted, you will get a letter inviting you to participate in a citizenship ceremony. You must plan the ceremony as soon as you can and within three months of receiving the letter.
- Attend your naturalisation ceremony so you may obtain your certificate and take the oath or affirmation of loyalty.
What are the advantages of obtaining British citizenship?
There are several advantages to becoming a citizen of the UK. The mental comfort that comes from knowing that, regardless of future government acts, you have the same right to remain in the UK as someone who was born here is one of the most important advantages.
Other advantages are:
- You are allowed to enter and exit the UK whenever you like.
- You have the right to participate completely in all municipal and general elections, including casting your ballot.
- You’ll have access to all state benefits, including healthcare.
We’re here to assist you
For many people who have emigrated to the UK and made a life for themselves, the day they are qualified to apply for British citizenship marks the culmination of years of preparation and hard work. After putting so much work into the procedure, it can be distressing to be rejected for citizenship. Therefore, it is crucial to submit a strong naturalisation application to raise the chances of success. At A Y & J Solicitors, we can help you put together a strong application and compile the necessary paperwork. Numerous customers have received active assistance from our knowledgeable immigration attorneys to establish themselves in the UK. Please get in touch with us if you want further details.
If you have more legal blog than write for us law